About VSG

Sleeve Gastrectomy is a surgical weight loss tool in which the stomach is reduced to about 25% of its original size, by surgical removal of a large portion of the stomach, following the major curve. The open edges are then attached together (often with surgical staples, glue and possibly cauterization) to form a sleeve or tube with a banana shape. The procedure permanently reduces the size of the stomach and is performed laparoscopically and is not reversible.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/about_vertical_sleeve_gastrectomy.html

MFP Weight loss tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I had a great NSV last night.

I went to a seminar on Minding Stress and its affect on weight. It's put on by the Weight Wise program here and there are many people in the program that are going through the modules for possible approval for bariatric surgery to be paid for by the province. I was paired up with this obviously uncomfortable woman that was hugely obese. We talked about what stresses us out and how we react to it... specifically how our eating changes as we react to it. When I gave my answer about how I use comfort foods like mashed potates, pot pies (etc) she said "yeah well, you're so skinny so it doesn't matter how you eat".



She didn't know me from a whole in the wall and she thought I was "skinny". Yay!

I explained that I'd already had my bariatric surgery and I was 50 lbs down so far. She said how she'd been talking to the psychologist about it and didn't understand how he could say that post op she could become MORE depressed. I explained that you really can. You mourn food and you have to develop a new relationship with food so you don't make yourself sick. You have to be willing to understand that with this surgery comes the understanding that you will never visit a buffet again, you will never finish a normal sized meal again (let alone a restaurant sized one) and that counting calories, low fat, and the food guide no longer applies to you.

It's a HUGE change and one that requires that you're fully prepared for it... mentally and emotionally. She thanked me, she hadn't realized that. I was pleased to be able to give my experience to a possible future bariatric patient from another patient's perspective instead of just the doctors telling her what she should/shouldn't do.

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I love the fact that you put everything in matter of fact terms. Which leads me to a boat load of questions. Could I get depressed because I can't eat off the buffet anymore or does the depression come from not being able to eat the amt. of food that I normally do from a buffet? I know that sounds petty but to me it really does make a difference. How do you make decisions at a restaurant? I mean, do you eat applesauce and mashed potatoes? Thanks again. I do love your posts. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The depression would come because not that you CAN'T go to a buffet anymore but really you could but it would be huge waste of money and it would be very hard on you mentally. Would you pay $20 for a baby to eat 1 meal? That's what your stomach is... a baby stomach. It could never hold the amounts of food we're using to eating pre-op. And in a buffet type atmosphere, you feel like you SHOULD eat more to "get your money's worth"... right!?

    At restaurants, I usually just have a few bites of what my husband has or I order an appetizer size. The childs menu is all crap food so I don't usually order from there. Generally if I can get a pc of meat as a side dish or in addition to hubby's dish I'm more than happy. For example, we went for fish & chips. I had hubby order 3 pcs of halibut. 1 for me that was unbreaded. I had 1/2 and I was full. The rest was lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You also helped this "pre-bariatric" patient before she jumped in and got the sleeve with Dr. Almanza. I had been researching and researching, but couldn't make up my mind. I foung your blog and literally, no joke, made up my mind right then and there that I was getting the sleeve and getting it with Dr. Almanza. I haven't looked back since. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete