About VSG

Sleeve Gastrectomy is a surgical weight loss tool in which the stomach is reduced to about 25% of its original size, by surgical removal of a large portion of the stomach, following the major curve. The open edges are then attached together (often with surgical staples, glue and possibly cauterization) to form a sleeve or tube with a banana shape. The procedure permanently reduces the size of the stomach and is performed laparoscopically and is not reversible.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/about_vertical_sleeve_gastrectomy.html

MFP Weight loss tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Monday, April 18, 2011

Counting down and trip deets..

1 week away. 

Trying to get all my last minute information handled.  Hubby thinks we should bring 2 suitcases.  I think he's insane.  We're going to be gone for 5 days and I'll be in jammies/yoga pants pretty much the entire time.  No reason we need 2 suitcases!  Besides, I'll be in a wheelchair the entire trip back so he would have to push me AND transport luggage.  That would suck donkeyballs.

I start liquids/softs diet on Easter Sunday which should be great fun.  After the surgery, we're still trying to get a handle on what kind of things I can eat.  There's alot of differing opinions out there that's for sure.  I'm going to be strict so that I can get the max use of the benefits of the "golden shot" of the VSG.

We fly in to San Diego on Apr 26 and we're staying at a Hilton for the night.  Then the next morning, we head back to the airport for our medical transport to Tijuana, MX.  They will bring us to the Jerusalem Hospital there and I will have my tests all done and the surgery same day.

Standard hospital stay is 2 days and thankfully Hubby will get to stay there with me. After 2 days, they release me to (normally) the recovery house.  We've chosen instead to stay in a nearby hotel (Hotel Ticuan) for a little measure of privacy.  Also there was comments that if the house was full, Hubby could end up sleeping on a couch or sent to a hotel by himself.  We didn't want that chance so we're paying for the 2 nights at the hotel.  Apparently its VERY nice and we've rented the best room in the place (a suite) for only $80!  They advised me that they will leave my IV port in and when I need to see the nurse for pain meds, tests, etc, they will come and pick me up.  They'll bring me back to the hospital to do it and then bring me back to the hotel.

On Saturday April 30, I will have the swallow test to check for leaks.  I was already advised to ask for a red popsicle instead of trying to drink the nasty barium solution.  I have a hell of a gag reflex and there's no way I'd be able to get that crap in me. Once I pass that, I'm released and they bring us back to San Diego where we're overnighting again at the Hilton.  We fly home (with a layover in Seattle) on May 1.  Unfortunately we couldn't find a better flight so we're coming home at something like 11pm.  I am going to see how I feel for work on the Monday.  My intention is to go to work but I'll see how it goes.

My employer does not know I am getting this surgery.  They only know that I'm having surgery.  My boss asked me if the surgery was "necessary".  Yes. Yes it is.  I will die from obesity related illnesses and I'll be off work more for them than this time off for surgery. I have a pretty technical job.  I hope that I won't have any issues with concentration or tiredness afterwards that would affect my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment