About VSG

Sleeve Gastrectomy is a surgical weight loss tool in which the stomach is reduced to about 25% of its original size, by surgical removal of a large portion of the stomach, following the major curve. The open edges are then attached together (often with surgical staples, glue and possibly cauterization) to form a sleeve or tube with a banana shape. The procedure permanently reduces the size of the stomach and is performed laparoscopically and is not reversible.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/about_vertical_sleeve_gastrectomy.html

MFP Weight loss tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

More iron lamentations...

As I've mentioned, I'm having a lot of problems with my iron. I honestly do not feel that my sleeve has anything to do with it as I've had issues for a lot of my life with anemia (as a child) and even a platelet transfusion due to an allergic reaction to a drug when I was 6 years old... it basically made me a hemophilic as I couldn't stop bruising. My platelets weren't working. I had a condition called thrombocytopena purpura.

I'm wondering if that condition somehow transformed or something. I'm now waiting on my doc to actually GIVE me my numbers but after a fainting episode due to Low BP and Anemia complication, I have been on Iron injections every week (daily for a week, then weekly since). I've experienced a great deal of fatigue since my surgery and just chalked it up to a little but of laziness and more of not enough calories. Now, it appears I may actually have a medical reason why I'm so very very tired all the time.

After a couple of months of oral iron supplementation with zero results, I had moved to injected iron. Still, no results (as of today). The nurse called and told me that my doc wants another 3 months of iron injections (done weekly of 2ml) and then another re-test to see if there's any changes. I'm scared now. I feel like if they're going to have to transfuse, then just DO IT. I'm moving to another province in 2.5 months and I'd like to not do this from scratch with a new doc....

I don't know what to say. I'm mostly nervous, scared there's something FOREVER wrong with me (because of, or exacerbated by my sleeve) and I don't really know where to turn right now. I've got an appt with my PCP April 11 and I plan to ask for a hemotogist referral at that time.

Any suggestions, feedback, commiseration, thoughts... anything.....

2 comments:

  1. Was the Low BP caused due to your low iron? Just curious because I also have had the sleeve surgery (July 2011) and have had no complications; however, last Friday my BP dropped to 70/36 and I fainted - face first on concrete floor ... needless to say my face doesn't look great :-/ but in the meantime they still can't tell me why my BP dropped so low. Since then I have been checking it and it's been fine, but pre-surgery I had HIGH BP ... weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so. The last time I lost weight I had issues with my BP going too low too. For some reason when I lose weight, my BP tanks. Not sure why! I have to focus on really getting in more water and salt to try and avoid this problem.

    It's really scary to faint isn't it!!?? That's terrible!! How are you doing now?? Any more fainting episodes?

    ReplyDelete